How to Make Tasty Lebanese Falafel
Lebanese Falafel. Falafel is a very delicious Middle-Eastern gourmet appetizer that has become popular in the West over the past several years. It's made from a deep fried paste of chick peas, fava beans, and a mix of onions and different herbs and spices. Freshly Fried Falafel Displayed at a Street Food Vendor in Tripoli, Lebanon Falafel is an iconic street food and appetizer.
It is vegan, healthy, delicious and loaded with protein and nutrients. They are so perfect they make you emotional. Each element of the falafel sandwich is just right. You can cook Lebanese Falafel using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lebanese Falafel
- It’s 1 Cup of Chickpeas Dry (soaked for 24 hours).
- It’s 1 Cup of Parsley (chopped fine).
- You need 0.5 Cup of Cilantro.
- You need 2 of Onions (medium) roughly chopped.
- Prepare 10 Cloves of Garlic chopped.
- It’s 3 of Green chillies roughly chopped.
- You need 1.5 Tablespoons of Coriander Powder.
- It’s 1.5 Tablespoons of Cumin Powder.
- You need 1.5 Teaspoons of Baking Soda.
- It’s To Taste of Salt.
- It’s of Oil for frying.
The tomatoes, the pickles and the tahini sauce. Growing up in a Lebanese household, falafel is a very traditional appetizer, side dish or vegetarian main dish at our family dinners. It's delicious on its own, wrapped in a pita or served over a giant Syrian Salad. Mix together the peeled fava beans, chopped parsley, coriander/cilantro, crushed garlic and chopped onions.
Lebanese Falafel instructions
- Soak the chickpeas overnight or upto 24 hours in the refrigerator for better results. Drain as much water as you can. Too much moisture will prevent the mix from holding shape when made balls.
- Make the mix: Use the large jar of the blender to pulse together the soaked chickpeas, onions, garlic, green chillies. After 3-4 pulses, coriander and parsley leaves, baking soda, coriander and cumin powder. Note: the mix can be made in batches as well to avoid over crowding the blender jar..
- Pulse a few more times. You do not want a fine paste. Just an uneven crumbly mixture that can be made into balls when a handful of mix is lightly pressed together. I say uneven because the bigger bits of chickpeas adds an extra crunch..
- Add salt to taste and rest this mix for an atleast hour or even overnight.
- Make small lemon-sized balls of the mix. At this stage, these can be deep frozen and fried as per requirement. Or, deep fried immediately. Let one side brown before turning. I had to be really delicate with frying these falafels as they could break if I turn them over too quickly..
- Fried Falafels can be made into a pita bread sandwich or salad with some tahini sauce, tomatoes, cucumber, etc. Enjoy!.
Falafel is a Middle Eastern recipe that is basically mashed chickpeas with herbs and seasonings formed into patties and fried. It's a traditional food in Lebanon that's made with only a few ingredients and served plain with tahini sauce, hummus, or garlic sauce for dipping, or as a falafel sandwich or falafel wrap. The Lebanese Chickpea Falafel Recipe is a classic street food of middle-east made from chickpeas. It is simple and quick to make and is very nutritious too. The Falafel's can be served as an appetizer or place in a pita bread sandwich or into a wrap.