Recipe: Delicious Falafel
Falafel. Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
In most parts of the Middle East, falafel is made with ground chickpeas. However, in Egypt, we make it with dried fava beans. They are best served with pita bread, tomato, onions, and tahini sauce. You can have Falafel using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Falafel
- Prepare 2 cups of chickpeas.
- You need 1 of small onion, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- You need 3-5 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of flour or chickpea flour.
- Prepare To taste of Salt.
- You need 2 tsp of cumin.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s as needed of Vegetable oil for frying.
Falafel (pronounced “fell-off-uhl”), sometimes spelled “felafel” or “felafil,” is a deep-fried ball or patty that is made from either chickpeas or fava beans and spices. It is a vegetarian and vegan food and one of the most widely consumed and recognized foods of the Middle East. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.
- Pour the chickpeas into a large bowl and cover them by about 3 inches of cold water. Let them soak overnight. They will double in size as they soak..
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Pour them into your food processor along with the chopped onion, garlic cloves, parsley, flour or chickpea flour, salt, cumin, ground coriander, black pepper..
- Blend until fairly smooth, then shape like small balls..
- Heat 2 tbsp sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the falafel balls, then quickly fry for 3 mins on each side until lightly golden..
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours..
- Serve with hummus and a green salad..
Falafel is a Middle Eastern food with a long history in Arab countries, as well as ancient Israel. Place fava beans in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. A simple salad with chopped veggies dressed in tahini sauce and topped with falafel makes a delicious lunch or dinner. You could also try replacing the pita with lettuce. Falafel: Place chickpeas in a large bowl and pour over plenty of cold water.