Recipe: Yummy Falafel Bhajia
Falafel Bhajia. This is a fusion from the Med and India – via the Middle-East. Falafel & Bhajia are both seasoned with herbs then fried. They're actually very similar recipes already – with Bhajia using Gram Flour (or Besan).
Black Eyed Beans Bhajia This is a recipe from Nyanyake Fatima, an old Swahili friend and a neighbour in Malindi, the town I grew up in. Nyanyake Fatima (Granny Fatima) was famous for her black eyed beans bhajia. Different types of Fritters, Pakoras, Tikkis and Vadas recipes, all comes here. You can cook Falafel Bhajia using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Falafel Bhajia
- Prepare 400 grams of Chickpeas (fresh).
- It’s 200 grams of grated Carrots.
- Prepare 100 grams of Feta crumbled.
- You need 200 grams of Frozen Spinach defrosted and drained.
- It’s 1 of onion (diced).
- You need 5 clove of garlic finely sliced..
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Ground Coriander.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Cumin Seeds.
- Prepare bunch of of Parsley and Coriander (or, a combination is best)..
- Prepare 1 of Jalapeno with seeds.
- It’s 1 of Juice of a Lemon.
- You need 1 of Heaped tablespoon of Flour, more for dusting.
- It’s 1 of Salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda.
- It’s 1 of Black Pepper.
Watch all the videos here find your best one for today. These crispy bhajia 's are like the Indian version of falafel, only more tasty in my opinion. In Dar-es-Salaam and Zanzibar, these are part of the famous street food often referred to as 'Zanzibar-Mix' which is a medley of potato chips (crisps), coconut chutney, and a sort of potato curry. Drain the water and rinse the chickpeas thoroughly, again drain the water.
Falafel Bhajia instructions
- Add Chickpeas on Food Processor. Pulse a few times until coarse. Add the rest or the mixture. Combine with hands or spoon..
- Water hands. Form into Falafel like shapes, dusting with flour. Fry on a low heat until a crust forms, 5-10 minutes. Olive oil is recommended. You can freeze at this stage, just allow to cool first..
- To finish cooking, bake in the oven at 180, 15 minutes on each side. Wrap in a pita with salad, or even plain with bread and butter. Tuna can be thrown in as well with some herbs & cream cheese..
- Garnish ideas: Taditional Tahini sauce, or Sesame seeds will work, though I haven't tried it. Peanut butter compliments most of the ingredients. Mango Chutney works especially well with the carrots and spinach. A regular salad – Lemon, Tomato, Onion, more Feta & Lettuce leaves are a must, whatever you decide for garnish..
Transfer the chickpeas, coriander, chillies, garlic and onion into a processor. Falafel is a plant-based fried snack that is made with chickpeas (or fava beans), plus some vibrant aromatics and a touch of all-purpose flour. It's a popular street food in the middle east and Mediterranean and is enjoyed throughout much of the world. Serve the bhajia with shidni sauce or any other kind of sauce. I also like to roll these bhajias in pita bread with salad and tahini sauce – my own version of a falafel roll!