Recipe: Perfect Upside Down Date Cake
Upside Down Date Cake.
You can cook Upside Down Date Cake using 15 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Upside Down Date Cake
- You need of Syrup.
- It’s 20-25 of dates.
- It’s 4.5 tbsp of Unsalted butter (room temperature).
- Prepare 120 g of light brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Honey.
- You need of Juice of half a lemon.
- You need of Cake base.
- It’s 215 g of Self raising flour.
- It’s 3 of Eggs.
- You need 2.5 tsp of Baking powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of Cinnamon.
- It’s Pinch of salt.
- You need 325 g of Caster sugar.
- You need 2/3 tsp of Vanilla extract.
- Prepare 160 ml of Whole milk.
Upside Down Date Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees.
- Make the syrup by bringing together butter, light brown sugar, honey and lemon juice to a simmer on the hob. Once simmering, reduce the heat and leave for a minute..
- Add the syrup to the cake tin. Aim to use a tin with an attached base..
- Cut the dates in half lengthways and remove the stone..
- Place the dates skin side touching the syrup in concentric circles. Keep them tightly packed side by side..
- Start making the cake mixture by adding together all the dry ingredients apart from the caster sugar in a mixing bowl..
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and creamy. Add the vanilla extract..
- Add three quarters of the milk to the eggs and sugar mixture. Mix well..
- Add the dry ingredients mixture in three batches to the eggs and sugar mixture. Mix well after each addition. Aim for a mixture which slowly falls off the spoon. If the mixture is too thick, add the remaining milk..
- Add cake mixture on top of the dates and syrup..
- Bake for 60 – 70 mins in the preheated oven (175 degrees Celsius). A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean..
- Leave to cool for 2 – 3 mins then turn upside down on a wire rack then serve on a plate..