Recipe: Perfect Falafel
Falafel. Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
In most parts of the Middle East, falafel is made with ground chickpeas. However, in Egypt, we make it with dried fava beans. They are best served with pita bread, tomato, onions, and tahini sauce. You can have Falafel using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Falafel
- Prepare 400 gm of Dried chickpeas.
- You need 1 of onion.
- You need 3-4 of garlic cloves.
- Prepare 1/2 bunch of coriander.
- Prepare 1/2 bunch of mint leaves.
- Prepare 1 cup of green part of spring onion.
- You need 4 tbsp of bread crumbs.
- It’s of Salt to taste.
- It’s 1 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of black pepper powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika powder.
- You need 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of baking soda.
- You need of Oil for frying.
Falafel (pronounced “fell-off-uhl”), sometimes spelled “felafel” or “felafil,” is a deep-fried ball or patty that is made from either chickpeas or fava beans and spices. It is a vegetarian and vegan food and one of the most widely consumed and recognized foods of the Middle East. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.
Falafel step by step
- Washed and soaked dried chickpeas in water for overnight..
- Then wash and drain. Put washed and drained chickpeas and food processor..
- Add onion, garlic cloves,coriander, mint leaves,baking soda and spices.
- Process until smooth and crumbly..
- Transfer to a large bowl add bread crumbs and mix well until combined..
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour..
- Heat oil and make a hand shape 1-inch ball..
- Fry until Golden and crispy about 3-4 mins. Transfer into paper towels..
Falafel is a Middle Eastern food with a long history in Arab countries, as well as ancient Israel. Place fava beans in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. A simple salad with chopped veggies dressed in tahini sauce and topped with falafel makes a delicious lunch or dinner. You could also try replacing the pita with lettuce. Falafel: Place chickpeas in a large bowl and pour over plenty of cold water.