Recipe: Appetizing Falafel
Falafel. Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
In most parts of the Middle East, falafel is made with ground chickpeas. However, in Egypt, we make it with dried fava beans. They are best served with pita bread, tomato, onions, and tahini sauce. You can have Falafel using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Falafel
- It’s 2 of spring onions,finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained.
- Prepare 1 of small clove of garlic, finely chopped.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1/4 of large/ ½ small lemon.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/8 of pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of plain flour (or Chickpea flour/Gram flour to make gluten free).
- Prepare of Alternative falafel flavours choose 1:.
- Prepare of Carrot: 30g carrot, grated.
- You need of Beetroot: 30g beetroot, grated.
- Prepare of Sweet potato: 30g peeled sweet potato, grated.
- Prepare of Herb: 2-3 tbsp parsley,finely chopped.
Falafel (pronounced “fell-off-uhl”), sometimes spelled “felafel” or “felafil,” is a deep-fried ball or patty that is made from either chickpeas or fava beans and spices. It is a vegetarian and vegan food and one of the most widely consumed and recognized foods of the Middle East. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees c/Gas mark6/400 degrees F..
- Prepare a non stick oven and spray with oil/wipe with a little oil and set aside..
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl. Squeeze in the lemon and with a potato masher, mash the chickpeas until a soft mush. They should look more like hummus than chickpeas!.
- Add in the spring onions, garlic, cumin, flour and any additional flavour you have chosen and give the mixture a good stir..
- Take a large teaspoon of the mixture. Squish it in your hand and then shape it into a ball. Flatten it slightly and keep turning and flattening the falafel until it is well help together and about the size of a 10p..
- Place the falafel on the tray. Continue rolling the rest of the falafel until the mixture is finished..
- Place the tray of falafel into the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes on each side so that they are nicely golden on each side..
- Serve the falafel in a pitta with salad, hummus and any other of your favourite veggies..
Falafel is a Middle Eastern food with a long history in Arab countries, as well as ancient Israel. The word falafel may descend from the Arabic word falāfil, a plural of the word filfil, meaning “pepper.” These fried vegetarian fritters are often served along with hummus and tahini sauce (known as a “falafel plate Falafel: Place chickpeas in a large bowl and pour over plenty of cold water. El falafel es una mezcla triturada de garbanzos hidratados en agua con cebolla, ajo y diferentes hierbas y especias. Esta masa se bolea, se fríe en abundante aceite y se sirve, generalmente, con. Fry falafels until golden, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt.