Easiest Way to Prepare Yummy Chickpea Falafels
Chickpea Falafels. Combine mashed chickpeas, onions, parsley, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Add chickpea mixture and mix together. Falafel was originally made with fava beans and continues to be made this way in Egypt and other Arab countries, but Israeli falafel is almost universally made from chickpeas.
Combine the garbanzo beans (with liquid) and garlic in the container of a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the mushrooms and onions. You can cook Chickpea Falafels using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chickpea Falafels
- You need 1 cup of chickpeas (rinsed and drained).
- Prepare 4 of scallions.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of chopped mint.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped parsley.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1/2 cup of plain dried breadcrumbs.
- It’s of oil to fry.
Mix in the cilantro, parsley, curry powder and cumin. The Lebanese Chickpea Falafel Recipe is a classic street food of middle-east made from chickpeas. It is simple and quick to make and is very nutritious too. The Falafel's can be served as an appetizer or place in a pita bread sandwich or into a wrap.
Chickpea Falafels step by step
- If you use canned chickpeas, go ahead to rinse them all. If you use dried chickpeas, leave them in water overnight and rise them well before cooking..
- Place the drained chickpeas, garlic and salt in a bowl of a food processor and press until blended and chopped into fine pieces..
- Add parsley, mint, cilantro, cumin, and breadcrumbs (or panko) and press until blended well..
- It's time to form balls! I used my hands to form them. You can do it as I did, but you can also use falafel spoon which is available at an Arabic market or just 2 spoons to form balls. I was able to make 16 falafels with this recipe..
- A point is that it is better not to form a big ball because it can be broken while frying it..
- Heat the oil high (any oil can work. I used vegi oil.) It should be high heat to make brownish good-looking falafels..
- Place falafels into the oil and fry them until their surface turn into brown. I fried 4 pieces at once to avoid falafels from being broken..
- Drain fried falafels on kitchen paper and ready to serve! (Please try hummus and tahini recipes as well and eat with your falafels. Shukran!!).
Serve the Lebanese Chickpea Falafel is had along with a Tabbouleh Salad, Pita Bread and Hummus. Traditional chickpea falafels get an extra protein boost with the addition of yellow split peas. The flavors and textures of these two legumes combine to create a tender, crispy falafel that the whole family will enjoy. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.