Recipe: Appetizing Falafel
Falafel. Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
In most parts of the Middle East, falafel is made with ground chickpeas. However, in Egypt, we make it with dried fava beans. They are best served with pita bread, tomato, onions, and tahini sauce. You can cook Falafel using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Falafel
- It’s 2 cups of dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans.
- Prepare 1 of small onion,roughly chopped.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley.
- It’s 3-5 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of chickpea flour.
- You need 1 3/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 tsp of cumin.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of red chili powder.
- It’s Pinch of ground cardamom.
- Prepare of Vegetable oil for frying.
Falafel (pronounced “fell-off-uhl”), sometimes spelled “felafel” or “felafil,” is a deep-fried ball or patty that is made from either chickpeas or fava beans and spices. It is a vegetarian and vegan food and one of the most widely consumed and recognized foods of the Middle East. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.
- Soak chickpeas (in enough water)overnight..
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas well. Pour them into your food processor along with the chopped onion, garlic cloves, parsley, flour or chickpea flour, salt, cumin, ground coriander, black pepper, red chili powder..
- Pulse all ingredients together until a rough, coarse meal forms..
- Once the mixture reaches the desired consistency, pour it out into a bowl and use a fork to stir; this will make the texture more even throughout..
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours..
- Heat up the vegetable oil to a deep fry falafel balls.
- Form falafel mixture into round balls or slider-shaped patties using wet hands or a falafel scoop..
- Once the falafels are fried, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon..
- Let them drain on paper towels. Serve the falafels fresh and hot; they go best with a plate of hummus and topped with creamy tahini sauce. You can also stuff them into a pita..
Falafel is a Middle Eastern food with a long history in Arab countries, as well as ancient Israel. Place fava beans in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. A simple salad with chopped veggies dressed in tahini sauce and topped with falafel makes a delicious lunch or dinner. You could also try replacing the pita with lettuce. Falafel: Place chickpeas in a large bowl and pour over plenty of cold water.