How to Prepare Perfect Falafel
Falafel. Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
In most parts of the Middle East, falafel is made with ground chickpeas. However, in Egypt, we make it with dried fava beans. They are best served with pita bread, tomato, onions, and tahini sauce. You can cook Falafel using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Falafel
- You need 1 cup of overnight soaked chickpeas/chana.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped onion.
- It’s 1 cup of cilantro.
- You need 1 cup of parsley.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of besan/ chickpea flour.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic.
- You need of green chilli as per taste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of jeera/cumin seeds.
- Prepare 1 pinch of baking soda.
- It’s of salt per taste.
Falafel (pronounced “fell-off-uhl”), sometimes spelled “felafel” or “felafil,” is a deep-fried ball or patty that is made from either chickpeas or fava beans and spices. It is a vegetarian and vegan food and one of the most widely consumed and recognized foods of the Middle East. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.
Falafel step by step
- Add chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin seeds, salt to the food processor or blender. Use the pulse option to make a coarse mixture..
- Then add besan and a pinch of baking soda. Mix well. Refrigerate this mixture for 10-15 minutes..
- Shape into balls or patties. Fry in oil on medium flame till brown..
- Option to bake at 400 F for 20-25 minutes or shallow fry on the pan..
- Serve this crispy hot snack with tahini sauce or tzatziki. It can be enjoyed as a snack by itself or made into a meal by making a falfel wrap or sandwich..
Falafel is a Middle Eastern food with a long history in Arab countries, as well as ancient Israel. Place fava beans in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. A simple salad with chopped veggies dressed in tahini sauce and topped with falafel makes a delicious lunch or dinner. You could also try replacing the pita with lettuce. Falafel: Place chickpeas in a large bowl and pour over plenty of cold water.