How to Cook Tasty Half cakes
You can cook Half cakes using 12 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Half cakes
- You need of Half cakes.
- You need 500 g of all purpose flour, sieved.
- It’s 1 of levelled teaspoon baking powder.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- You need 1 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon powder or cardamom or ginger or lemon.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence.
- You need 80 g of melted margarine.
- You need of Syrup.
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence.
Half cakes step by step
- Put your flour, baking powder and cinnamon powder into a bowl and mix to incorporate them together..
- Add melted margarine followed by vanilla essence and rub in the margarine with the tips of your fingers until the margarine is well incorporated into the mixture..
- Add water gradually as you mix to form your dough to the right consistency..
- Knead your dough for about 10 minutes..
- Divide the dough into 2 or more depending on the size of your dough..
- Roll out each dough into a circle and cut into strips then cut across the dough to make small pieces. (The brown colour of the dough is as a result of cinnamon).
- Heat oil in a pan and when it is hot add in the pieces in batches, do not crowd the pan. They don't take long to cook or else they'll become hard like one batch of mine..
- Fry until golden brown. Remove from the pan and allow them to cool completely.
- For the coating: put your sugar, water, essence and cardamom in a cooking pot and let it simmer for about 3 minutes or until it starts to thicken and bubble all around..
- Add the half cakes into the cooking pot and toss the cooking pot slowly -taking care not to break the half cakes. Hold both sides of the pot and toss ensuring all of them have been coated..
- Occasionally return the pot to the heat as you toss. Eventually the sugar syrup will crystallise on the half cakes..
- Gently turn them onto a plate and serve. You can store them in an airtight container to keep them crunchy for long..