Easiest Way to Cook Appetizing Falafel
Falafel. Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
In most parts of the Middle East, falafel is made with ground chickpeas. However, in Egypt, we make it with dried fava beans. They are best served with pita bread, tomato, onions, and tahini sauce. You can have Falafel using 5 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Falafel
- Prepare 1 cup of dried chickpeas 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1.
- It’s of cup).
- You need 1 teaspoon of baking powder 4-6 tablespoons flour.
- Prepare of Soybean or vegetable oil for frying.
- It’s of for garnish Tahina sauce.
Falafel (pronounced “fell-off-uhl”), sometimes spelled “felafel” or “felafil,” is a deep-fried ball or patty that is made from either chickpeas or fava beans and spices. It is a vegetarian and vegan food and one of the most widely consumed and recognized foods of the Middle East. Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern “fast food” made of a mixture of chickpeas (or fava beans), fresh herbs, and spices that are formed into a small patties or balls. It's thought that falafel originated in Egypt as Coptic Christians looked for a hearty replacement for meat during long seasons of fasting or lent.
Falafel step by step
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. Or use canned chickpeas, drained..
- Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed..
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough our so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours..
- Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts,.
- Heat 3 inches of oil and fry 1 ball to taste. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about 6 balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown..
- Drain on paper towels..
- Serve tahini sauce…
- Tahini is an oily paste made from ground sesame seeds. and olive oil..
Falafel is a Middle Eastern food with a long history in Arab countries, as well as ancient Israel. Place fava beans in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. A simple salad with chopped veggies dressed in tahini sauce and topped with falafel makes a delicious lunch or dinner. You could also try replacing the pita with lettuce. Falafel: Place chickpeas in a large bowl and pour over plenty of cold water.